We can assist you in obtaining a visa to live in Japan with your family, including visas for international marriage and after divorce.

If you would like to live in Japan with your family, we will introduce you to the visa options available to you.

1. Living together as a married couple (Spouse visa)

If you are married to a Japanese national or permanent resident and live in Japan together.
In order to obtain a spouse’s visa, first of all, you have to be married. As international marriages differ depending on nationality, it is also important to know which country’s method of marriage you will be using.
We will support you through the process of getting married and granting your spouse a visa,

2. Special circumstances to live in Japan (Long term residence visa)

When the holder of a spouse’s visa has divorced or if you are inviting a child of foreign nationality living outside Japan.
The Long term resident visa is considered to be one of the most difficult visas to be granted. This is because a Long term resident visa is granted to “those who do not qualify for any other status of residence but are judged by the Minister of Justice to have special circumstances for living in Japan”, and the criteria are not clear and are judged on a case by case basis.
We will support you in applying for a Long term resident Visa, including whether there are any other visas you can apply for.

3. Following visa holder’s spouse and children (Dependent)

A dependent is defined as an individual who is the spouse or child of (and financially dependent on) a foreign national residing in Japan under one of the following statuses of residences: Professor, Artist, Religious Activities, Journalist, Highly Skilled Professional, Business Manager, Legal/Accounting Services, Medical Services, Trainee, Instructor, Engineer/Specialist in Humanities/International Services, Intra-Company Transferee, Nursing Care, Entertainer, Skilled Labor, Cultural Activities, or Student.
It is important that the head of the household is financially able to support the spouse and children. It is also important that the spouse and children are financially dependent on the head of household, so a spouse with some income should consider a different visa.

4. Inviting Parents from Home Country (Designated Activities)

If you are a “Highly Skilled Professional” visa holder with a household income of over 8 million yen and young children (under the age of 7), you can invite your parents in Japan to live with you for a certain period of time.
Even if you do not have a “Highly Skilled Professional” visa, you may invite your parent who has no relatives in their home country.

5. Live with a housekeeper (Designated Activities – Housekeeper)

If you have a visa for a ” Highly Skilled Professional “, “Business Manager”, “Legal/Accounting Services”, you can come to Japan with or hire a housekeeper to work in your private home.


What you need to do after your divorce

If you have a spouse’s visa and you get divorced, you must notify the Immigration Office of your divorce within 14 days and change to another visa within 6 months. The type of visa you choose will depend on your family and work situation in Japan. We may find together the best way for you.